Obesity & Bariatric Program
Obesity & Bariatric Program
What is obesity?
Generally, obesity is a condition where a person has accumulated so much body fat causing a negative effect on health.
Overweight and obesity are major risk factors for several chronic diseases, for example, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and cancer.
Individuals who are considered medically obese have a high percentage of body fat, often with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher.
Medical professionals use the BMI scale to evaluate a patient’s weight in relation to their height.
In summary, Body mass index is measured as a single number, with different numbers correlating to different weight ranges (including obesity). The most common BMI classifications are as follows:
Underweight – A BMI of 18.4 or less
Healthy weight – A BMI of 18.5 to 24.9
Overweight – A BMI of 25 to 29.9
Obese Class 1 – A BMI of 30 to 34.9
Obese Class 2 – A BMI of 35 to 39.9
Obese Class 3 – A BMI of 40 or higher
Obesity & Bariatric Program in Kenya
Focused on the wellness of the whole patient
Obesity can lead to several serious medical conditions, including diabetes, heart disease, and sleep apnea.
Treatment of weight loss can be done in several ways based on several different factors for example the severity of obesity, past medical problems, and the patient’s personal needs.
At KLASS, our practitioners are well-versed in weight loss and long term weight management. Schedule a consultation with our top-rated bariatric surgeon in Kenya – Dr. Yusuf Palkhi to learn more and get the care and support you deserve.
Kenya Laparoscopic Surgery services (KLASS), an obesity & bariatric program center provides seamless, quality care utilizing an integrative approach that values the mind, body, and spirit. We offer bariatric surgery as well as comprehensive weight loss programs to help build your self-esteem.
What are the causes of obesity?
- Hereditary factors/genetics – In this case, genes can affect how you burn calories, how much fat your body stores, and even where fat is stored on your body.
- Medical problems and medications. In some cases, certain medications can attribute to weight gain.
- Environment – the world around us influences our ability to maintain a healthy weight. For example: Not having area parks, sidewalks, and affordable gyms consequently making it hard for people to be physically active.
- Diet and exercise habits – Generally, none of us are as active as we were in our teenage years and we, therefore, burn fewer calories throughout the day consequently resulting in weight gain. Additionally, with work, family, and friends, we tend to put exercise last on our priority list.
- Emotional factors and sleep problems – Particularly, poor sleep habits can affect the amount you weigh. Some people eat more than usual when they are bored, angry, upset, or stressed. As a result, this can lead to either weight loss or weight gain.
Health Risks Associated With Obesity
Unfortunately, overweight or obese poses serious health risks, contributing to the development of a wide array of health conditions. Some of the many health problems that are linked to obesity include:
- Joint pain, back pain, osteoarthritis, and other orthopedic problems
- High cholesterol (hyperlipidemia) and high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Cancers of the colon, gallbladder, breast, uterus, esophagus, prostate, cervix, or pancreas
- Reproductive disorders such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Cardiovascular complications such as heart attack and stroke.
- Infertility and sexual health problems. Women are more prone to breast and endometrial cancer, as well as irregular periods and other gynecological problems. Obese men have a greater risk of suffering from erectile dysfunction.
- Sleep apnea (obesity hypoventilation syndrome)
- Stress incontinence
Available Treatment Options for Obesity at KLASS
Obesity treatments at KLASS have 2 main objectives, Namely: To achieve a healthy weight and to maintain a healthy weight.
There will be a significant improvement on any obese person who loses just 5 -10 % of their body weight,
At KLASS, we encourage patients to realize that a small drop in weight is a good start and a great achievement.
Successful and permanent weight loss is best achieved as a result of increased physical activity, changing how and when you eat and modifying your behavior. Additionally, Some patients may be prescribed medication, while others might undergo weight-loss surgery.
Prescribed medications should really only be considered as a last resort. If the patient finds it extremely hard to shed the pounds, or if his obesity has reached such a point as to significantly undermine his health, then prescription drugs may become an option.
Bariatric Surgery for Weight Loss at KLASS
In summary, Kenya Laparoscopic surgery services (KLASS) weight loss program is designed to educate and empower individuals who are committed to losing weight and improving their health.
Obesity and bariatric programs equip patients with the tools they need to set realistic, attainable goals and then achieve them – even if previous attempts to lose weight have been unsuccessful.
Additionally, by emphasizing sustainable lifestyle changes and providing compassion, support, and encouragement, we make it possible for patients to attain meaningful, life-long results. To conclude, when necessary medical support is needed, we shall help you.
Your Bariatric Surgery With Dr. Yusuf Palkhi
Dr. Yusuf Palkhi was one of the first surgeons in Mombasa to introduce minimally invasive surgical procedures in Mombasa town to help individuals who were in need of laparoscopic general surgical procedures.
He is committed to improving the lifestyles of individuals residing in Mombasa to help them take back control of their lives without the need to travel far for such procedures.
Together with his expert surgical team in Mombasa, Kenya they provide the highest level of holistic surgical care to individuals, ensuring that they meet their individual health needs.
He is keen on ensuring that majority of people have access to expert, world-class care and expertise that is both affordable and accommodating to their needs and life goals.
Dr. Yusuf Palkhi, a laparoscopic surgeon in Mombasa, Kenya specializes in helping individuals who ail from the appendix, gallbladder, reflux, hernia repairs, colon, pancreas, spleen, and emergency abdominal surgeries.
He is also very passionate about helping individuals regain control of their lives through bariatric weight loss procedures.
Reserve An Appointment
Should you wish to book your appointment online, Our Doctors Calendar is available to you, Simply head over to Reserve your Appointment and view the doctors available times where we can be able to help you.