About 10-18% of the population in the US suffers from fertility issues. One-third of the cases of infertility are due to female factors, one-third due to male factors, and one-third of the cases are due to a combination or male and female factors or unexplainable causes. Let’s consider some of the common risks of fertility issues that may interfere with your plans of starting a family.
- Age: Advancing age is the primary factor. As a woman becomes older, the number of eggs become less and the quality of the eggs also decrease. Although males are not as significantly affected, there is definitely a decrease in male fertility as men grow older.
- High-risk sexual behavior: Having unprotected sex with multiple partners increases risk of sexually transmitted diseases that can cause the fallopian tubes to become occluded and compromise fertility.
- Medical Conditions: Medical issues like fibroid tumors or ovarian tumors can affect a woman’s chances of becoming pregnant and regular medications to treat chronic medical conditions may have side effects that affect fertility
- Environmental toxins: Certain jobs that involve exposure to heat or harmful chemicals, smoking, and excessive alcohol use are also associated with diminished fertility.
- Weight: Being overweight or underweight can affect normal ovulation in females and sperm production in males thereby reducing chances of achieving pregnancy.
- Testosterone Supplementation: Using testosterone supplements to increase muscle mass and strength can cause shrinkage of testicles, reduce sperm count, and have a negative impact on fertility.
If you have been trying to get pregnant unsuccessfully for more than a year or if you are above the age of 35 and would like to start a family, visit the specialists at the ReproMed Fertility Center for an evaluation and to discuss your options.
Book An Appointment
Should you wish to book your appointment online, Our Doctors Calendar is available to you, Simply head over to Reserve your Appointment and view the doctors available times where we can be able to help you